Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Thanks, shows, and head colds

First up- thanks to all those who have commented, tweeted, emailed, called or sent notes tied to rocks through my windows about my impending move to Valve. You guys make me blush as you're all too kind. Some folks have asked, so I'll restate it here: the VTS monthly video tutorials will continue. The Animation Personal Trainer (APT) courses will go on extended hiatus for the forseeable future. The APT requires a good deal more time and effort than the VTS, and since I'll be "at work" all day I don't think I'll have the time to properly devote to it. However, as in all things related to my life, I reserve the right to change my mind should conditions prove favorable to a future APT session. So... who knows?  heh.

As for the Otto & Schmitty project? It's still on. It's on like Donkey Kong, brutha. I'm about a third of the way through animation/rendering episode 1, titled "Date Night". It's about Otto's never ending quest for love. I'd be further along on it except I've had a nasty cold the last week. I doubt it's a piggy flu, but it has been gnarly enough to make it hard to sit at the 'puter and get anything done. All the cold meds made it hard to think and stay at it. I have no idea how other creative folk can work under the influence of pharmaceutical "enhancements". heh.
Anyhow, I'm about a week behind schedule. But the show must go on- and shall. Look for the first episode of the Otto & Schmitty Show sometime in early December.

5 comments:

Bryn Richards said...

Hey Keith!

A late congratulations on moving to my favourite game company and I hope you feel better soon.

Take care.

Mike B said...

Hi Keith,
The Otto and Schmitty stuff you've posted look fantastic. I can't wait to see the first episode. Can you say how long these episodes will run? 2 min? 4min? I'm asking because I've always ended up turning a tiny short film idea into an epic, with all the story backgrounds crammed in there. Needless to say, they become too long to finish and I'm left with scribbly animatics. But is there a preferred method for simplifying the process for making fun 1 to 2 min shorts? And if every you need an assistant, I'd love to help. heh.

Keith Lango said...

@Mike B:
Each episode is slated to be around 90 seconds in length. The whole goal is to make more short ones instead of one long epic one. I liked the idea of discovering characters over time, kinda building up a sense of their world and relationship over time in smaller chunks. It's more of a micro TV series idea than a micro feature film approach. As for a preferred method for making stuff smaller? Make smaller stories. Episode 1 of O&S is not a very deep story, but there is a story there. It's just nice and self contained- and it's light hearted. I'm not trying to stop world hunger with the thing, just give folks a smile and some fun characters to live with for a minute and a half. :) Smaller, humbler goals help keep things smaller and humbler.

Jeremy Jutras said...

Keith, I also look forward to viewing episode 1. The frequent posting of your character design process/ render and animation tests have had me hooked this whole time. Good luck at Valve. I Cant wait for early the Christmas gift....
-Jeremy Jutras

Cedric B said...

a late congrats, but a congrats nonetheless. It sounds awesome, Keith. I hope the move brings you everything you hope for, and I look forward to seeing the results.